11.26.2013

sometimes it's good to be selfish...

I'm realizing more and more how important it is for the busy knitter to make sure to set aside time to do some selfish knitting. it is really the reason why we started knitting in the first place....

and especially with the holidays hovering just ahead, it's easy to get caught up in other knitting. namely gift knitting, or market knitting if you've got any of those coming up. trust me, I know how easy it is to forget to knit for yourself....



so I'm happy to say I've talked some sense into myself, and am working on selfish knitting here and there. when more than 95% of what I knit isn't for me, or anyone in my household, it's pretty stinkin' important to fit in some selfish and family knits.



I give you basketcase mitts. pattern by amy miller. remember my pendulum? same designer. you can't go wrong. i love her!
this was a really quick knit with gorgeous results. that basketweave stitch is just so stunning! I love it. paired with plucky knitter traveler aran yarn, really you can't go wrong. the colour I used is honey wilkes.




these mitts are so very warm, and squishy, and the colour is just so pretty! I keep staring at my hands. hee hee... I even had 43g leftover yarn... one skein is more than enough.

I did go down in needle sizes. I used a 4mm/US6 and 5mm/US 8 for these mitts. they're still a little bit bigger than I'd like... so warning that I think these mitts run a bit big... it's not stopping me from wearing them though. nope, they like my hands, and my hands like them. :)




and even with all of the deadlines looming ahead, I'm so very happy I set aside time for a selfish knit. and if I can do it, trust me.. you can too. if you're the type of person who rarely knits for yourself,  I challenge you to make sure you do some selfish knitting, with some lovely yarn for Christmas... you deserve it! xo

i'm already working on my next selfish knit. what are you working on? xo

8 comments:

  1. I'm making me a Talbot Hill Shawl (by Joan Janes, owner The Little Red Mitten) in Rowan handpaint :) It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooOOo beautiful! I just checked it out!! xo

      Delete
  2. I selfish knit during my lunch hour at work. I've been working on my Colour Affection for ages, but with only one hour to knit at a time, it's slow going. Otherwise, my home time knitting is devoted to Christmas presents. Luckily, I only have two more to go!

    Love the Honey Wilkes! Your mitts turned out really well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yay! so nice you can regularly selfish knit with the Christmas knitting on your plate too. well done! I bet your colour affection will be well worth it! xo

      Delete
  3. Oh those are lovely! I love Amy Miller's designs! Currently I have two test knits that are technically for myself so those are my selfish knitting things among my Christmas knitting projects, the only problem is the fact that the test knits have deadlines so they are as enjoyable as selfish knitting with no deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a thing for amy's designs. haha. I was looking through my queue and found more of her patterns in there :) nice to incorporate test knits as your selfish knits! that's being productive! xo

      Delete
  4. these are gorgeous. love the pattern and the color.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...